Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Exercise 16.1: Authentication and Encryption system

Question 1.
Visit an e-commerce website and survey the mode of payment allowed. Would you trust the site with your business?

I visited www.madman.com.au. This is an Australian site that I have used before to purchase specialised DVD's. eg Japanese animation.

To purchase from this site you must have a login (your email address) and password. If you forget your password the site will send an email to your email address which you must then use to reactivate your account with the password they provide. You must then change your password.

The modes of payment allowed are Credit Card, Money Order and BPAY. International customers can only use Credit Card. The credit cards accepted are Visa and Mastercard.

As the site uses 128-bit SSL encryption, I would trust the site with my business. I do, however, use a specific credit card with a very low limit for all internet transactions just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment