Get the latest PGP software from http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html; install it on two machines and encrypt a message on one machine and decrypt it on the other.
At the site http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html you get the following message: The version of PGP available from MIT was significantly out of date and doesn't run on newer computers (at least not reliably).
Went to http://www.pgpi.org/ and tried to download PGP 8.0.2 for Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP. This then took me to a link at http://www.pgp.com/downloads/desktoptrial/desktoptrial2.html where you can download the PGP Desktop Trial product, which will operate with full capabilities for 30 days. To download the software you must register with your name and address details and a valid email address that you have access to. Once you have registered an email is sent to your address with the link to download the software. The file is 86 MB.
Downloaded the software and installed it.
First of all I created a key:

The key is on my default keyring:

Next I created an encrytped zip file with a selection of files:

When encrypting the files I chose the option where the Recipient would have a key:

Then I decrypted the zip file using my own key:

As I don't have another computer to decrypt the file on, I used the same computer to encrypt and decrypt. By doing the above, I have the idea of how the system works.
No comments:
Post a Comment